We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory Analyst with experience of GC/LC and/or mass spectrometry. The Analyst will be mainly based at the Irish Marine Institute’s state-of-the art laboratories in Oranmore, Galway, on the shores of Galway Bay. The analyst will be part of a CLS team providing technical/analytical support to the Marine Institute in implementing national seafood safety monitoring programmes.
Marine Chemistry/Residues programme support. Role will be based at Marine Institute, Rinville
Job Title: Laboratory Analyst – LC & GC
Reporting to: Director of Outsourcing
Primary Tasks & Responsibilities
- To undertake chemical analyses of fish samples by Liquid Chromatography (LC) & Gas Chromatography (GC)in accordance with procedures and quality system.
- To assist in analytical method development, optimisation and validation.
- Troubleshooting test methods/equipment as required.
- Assist with other aspects of programme delivery such as arranging a third-party analysis.
- To arrange and undertake sample collection and processing as directed (as an Authorised Officer) in accordance with strict protocol and chain of custody.
- To implement and participate in the development of Quality Systems relevant to the work programme in accordance with INAB.
- Prepare, and assist in the preparation, of reports and publications from time to time.
- To assist in data processing, management and reporting.
- To identify consumables/chemicals required to undertake their work.
- To notify the Scientific/Technical Officer or Senior Laboratory Analyst of problems with laboratory equipment issues arising.
- To complete and maintain all required records relating to this work.
- All work undertaken at or for the MI must be in accordance to the Health and Safety Statement.
Criteria and Requirements
- Relevant experience in analytical chemistry (LC/GC) for the analyses of environmental & food samples and/or pharmaceutical products.
- Appropriate 3rd level Science qualification.
- Experience working to a technical quality assurance standard e.g. INAB /ISO17025 accreditation.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office and other technical software for data analysis (or analytical software).
- Good knowledge and preferably experience of modern analytical instrumentation in particular chromatographic techniques and mass spectrometry.
- Experience in sample preparation and techniques associated with trace chemical analysis.
- Skilled in analytical troubleshooting.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing in a team environment.
- Good report writing skills.
- Experience in field sampling
Please note – we will reply only to those we are progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process
Apply for this position
Suitable applicants are invited to email their CV with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org